How Winter Weather Affects Your Garage Door
If you have a garage, then you know how important your garage door is during winter months. It protects your car against harsh weather conditions, prevents cold temperatures from penetrating your the interior of your house and provides a safe environment for you to comfortably leave and enter your home. But like many items or fixtures throughout your home, you may find that cold temperatures and winter weather can wreak havoc on your garage door system, causing unwanted and unexpected breakages, warping and delays.
While garage door damages and repairs are often inconvenient and costly, you can avoid winter-related garage door issues by performing simple preventative maintenance before the cold temperatures set in. With fall and winter garage door maintenance, you can save money by avoiding emergency repair costs, prolong the lifespan of your garage door system and prevent potentially hazardous garage door breakdowns.
Effects of Winter Weather on Garage Doors
Winter weather is often marked by cold temperatures, ice, snow and paved surfaces coated with salt — these elements can be extremely damaging to your home’s garage door. During winter months, the following cold weather problems are common for many homeowners:
- Broken or damaged springs, rollers and tracks: Damage to these parts is often caused by temperature fluctuations causing the metal to warp due to frequent expanding and contracting.
- Water damage: For homeowners with a wood garage door, water and moisture can penetrate the surface, leading to cracks, warping and other damage.
- Garage door opener malfunctions: The garage door opener is a sensitive machine with several mechanisms that work together to efficiently and safely open and close the door — during the winter, your opener’s lubrication may harden, which makes it difficult for your garage door to operate smoothly.
- Frozen components: In extremely cold temperatures, water pooled at the bottom of your garage door or between sectional panels may freeze, either causing your door to struggle opening or preventing your garage door from lifting.
- Damaged weather-stripping: This is an important defect to note during winter months — damage can be caused by normal wear and tear leading the materials to crack or if the door freezes closed, then if the door is ripped apart from the ground, the sealing can be damaged. You can typically detect damaged stripping if you notice your energy bills are gradually rising.
Preventative Service Before Winter
In addition to regular maintenance performed by a professional at least once every year, homeowners can perform these winter garage door maintenance tasks to keep their system operating efficiently and safely:
- Lubricate all moving parts and tighten any loose hardware
- Check weather stripping for cracks or other damages
- Test the garage door balance
During the winter, homeowners can also prevent garage door breakages and malfunctions by regularly clearing any snow accumulation around the door and removing any ice buildup.
Call Liberty Door and Awning Today
When you need effective and quality garage door maintenance services to prepare your door for the upcoming winter months, call the trained and experienced professionals at Liberty Door and Awning. We offer comprehensive maintenance plans to protect your door and ensure smooth functionality all year long. We can also make any repair recommendations to improve your garage door operations. Learn more about our winter garage door maintenance services today by calling (732) 286-3667 or complete our online form to request more information.