Two Single Garage Doors vs. One Double Garage Door
If you’re building or remodeling a spacious garage that can hold multiple cars, you may need to consider which is better — having a double garage door that two vehicles can fit into or a single door for each car you own. Both have their advantages and drawbacks, so you will need to consider your needs and the aesthetic you would like for your property.
Single vs. Double Car Garage Door Options — Which One Is Right for You?
If you are wondering whether you should have two garage doors in your garage or one wide door, ask yourself the following questions:
- How wide is my garage space? Two single doors require at least 22 feet in width. If your garage opening is narrower, a double-wide single door is a better option.
- How important is it for me to shield my garage from view? If you have a luxury car or a workshop with expensive tools you don’t want to expose to any passersby, two single garage doors give you more privacy.
- How hard is it for me to heat and cool my garage? If you have trouble with temperature control and insulation, two single doors will let in less air at a time, which can keep your garage more comfortable and save you money on energy costs.
- What security concerns do I have? If you have two single doors, you will need to make sure you secure and close both whenever you access them. You may also want alarm systems on both doors — and having two doors to maintain can cost more. On the other hand, if you are worried about emergencies, having two doors allows you to get into and out of your garage even if one does not work. If you have one double door and it stops working, it will be difficult to access your garage until it is fixed.
- How much space do I need? If you have two cars of different sizes or you need extra space when getting into or out of your vehicle, a double door will give you more space and flexibility. This option may be especially beneficial for seniors who need more room or families who may be dealing with car seats and strollers. Larger cars also benefit from one double door.
- What is my budget? Single double-car garage doors cost less to install, and you will only need to maintain and repair one door.
- What look do I prefer? Beyond the practical considerations, take a look at properties with single doors and double doors. Think about which ones look best for you.
Still Considering Two Single vs. One Double Car Garage Door?
Do you need to explore your options? Contact Liberty Door and Awning today and request a free estimate to find out what each option will cost. You can also call us at (732) 783-5664 to speak to an experienced professional about your needs and the solutions that might work for your property. When you call during business hours, you will always get a live person to help you with your garage-door-related questions.
Liberty Door and Awning has been a trusted expert in garage door systems and awnings in New Jersey for decades. With us, your garage is in good hands. Our fully staffed office has a production and service department ready and willing to help you with new doors or repairs on existing ones.