Quality garage doors are a long-term investment, and you can make sure they last as long as possible with preventive maintenance. A little care now can reduce the costs of repairs in the long term and save you thousands by giving you a few extra years with your current garage doors.
Make Garage Doors Last Longer
To make the most of your garage door’s lifespan, you will want to:
- Replace smaller parts as they break: The lifespan on a garage door spring is about 10,000 cycles. Springs need to be replaced in four to seven years on average, depending on how often you open and close your garage door. By replacing smaller components before they fail, you avoid extra pressure and wear and tear on your garage door.
- Take care of garage door repair fast: Don’t allow problems such as sagging or strange noises to continue without professional help. You may be doing more damage to your garage doors by putting repairs off.
- Practice preventive maintenance: Once a year, get professional maintenance services to lubricate your garage doors, get them checked out and keep them in good repair. An annual tune-up can extend the life of your garage doors by detecting any possible problems early and correcting them.
- Pay attention: Get into the habit of paying attention to your garage door. Do you hear any unusual sounds? Is it taking longer to open or close? Noticing trouble early on can help you avoid expensive emergency service calls and premature failure.
When to Replace Your Garage Door
Even with exceptional care, your garage door will eventually need replacement. There are a few signs that it’s time for new garage doors:
- Functionality is suffering: If your doors take a long time to open and close or if they no longer perform the way you need them to, new doors can make a dramatic difference. Similarly, if your garage doors no longer offer great energy efficiency, an upgrade can save you money on utility bills.
- You want a more attractive garage door: Garage doors have a big impact on your home’s curb appeal. If you are selling your property or if your garage door is outdated, a replacement may be in order.
- Safety is at stake: If your garage door no longer stops automatically for obstructions or if it opens and closes erratically, your safety may be in danger. New garage doors can help to prevent intrusions as well as injuries.
- You need a lot of repairs: If you are constantly calling for garage door repairs, especially emergency repairs, it can be more economical to get new door.
Whether you’re ready for replacements or want quality repair and maintenance services to help your current garage doors last a little longer, Liberty Door and Awning can help. With more than 20 years of experience and a team of full-time employees, we stand by our work and only install garage doors we would use on our own homes. Reach out today to schedule a free estimate.